4.27.2005

I Heart....New York State?

Not that tourism commercials ever make sense, but the latest from the New York State tourism board make even less sense.
It takes the "I Love New York" song made famous by the post-9/11 commercial (okay, that tourism commercial made sense) and jazzes it up and plays it in the background. The infamous I[heart]NY logo is on the lower left corner. Yet in the entirety of the commercial, the city is not shown at all. It is all shots of golf games, beaches, boats, and the tooliest of tools, Governor Pataki proclaiming, "I love New York in the summer!"

I understand that the rest of the state is plenty pretty and great and all, but the logo has always and will always mean New York City and the "I Love New York" song will always symbolize a city coming together after devastation saying that it's still the place to be.

To tie this back to urban policy, this just shows that Pataki could give two shits about the city. No wonder why he constantly stiffs city agencies such as the MTA in his budgets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home